Thursday, August 30, 2012

Playing Catch Up

My oh my, how fast the time goes by.  I have decided I am going to start blogging more than once a year.  I love reading other people's blogs, helps me stay up to date on their lives.  Let's start at the beginning and go through some of  the highlights of our year.

JANUARY
 In January we went on a cruise to Cabo with some of our best friends and had such a grand time.  We went parasailing, laid on the beach and definitely ate enough to make every penny we spent on that cruise worth it.  Cruising has quickly become one of our favorite ways to vacation.  Always something to do, but more importantly, something to eat. 

MARCH
In March I was able to go stay with my cute siblings (I know what you're thinking, yes even Hunter is included in the cute siblings category), while my parents went on a cruise. I had SO much fun with them.  We did a lemonade and cookie sale and went to Samurai 21 (a hibachi grill restaurant) with our earnings.  The kids had a blast with the chef and it was fun going to dinner with almost all of my family. We also had the opportunity to go to the Blue Angels airshow.  I had never been to something like that and it was incredible.  Wish my parents could have been there to share the experience with us.  I always tell people I felt like I grew up as a mom (being the second oldest of 7) but this week was a big reminder of how much my parents do for our family.  The love and support they give us kids could never possibly be thanked enough.  I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family.

APRIL
Definitely my favorite month this year.  Not only does it contain the best day of the year (my birthday) but I also had been planning a surprise trip for Braden for almost 2 months.  This is such a fun story that I will NEVER forget.  So sometimes I like to save a little money and do something nice for Braden. Braden served his mission in Florida and it is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, state to visit.  I decided I was going to plan a trip and try my best to keep it a surprise.  I called the girl who makes his schedule at his work to see if it was even possible.  She was AMAZING and I could not have done this trip without her.  She made a fake schedule for him when the time came close so it didn't look like he just didn't work for 8 days. (Schweet right?)  I had to open a separate debit account so he couldn't see me buying Disney tickets or booking the flight and hotel.  I quickly realized that I must have talked about this trip a lot because every time I would go to the bank, tanning salon, work, ANYWHERE everyone was so anxious to see if it was still a secret and how it was all working out.  About two weeks before, I would slowly start packing.  I would put one of his swimsuits in, then the next day a t shirt.  I made sure not to pack anything that he would look for and miss.  Over the two weeks he was completely packed minus a toothbrush. The day before we left Braden had a softball game.  I was visiting with my friend Rudy who's husband also plays softball.  We were talking about how everything was going to play out the next day.  When her husband came up and joined the conversation.  He informed me that my husband was going to play golf in the morning ha.  I called my brother in law to make sure they would be done playing in time.  It ended up working out PERFECTLY.  I could BARELY sleep that night.  I knew that these next 12 hours would be the hardest of the entire 2 months.  The next morning he went golfing and I threw the last minute toiletries in the bag.  Now it was just a waiting game for him to get home.  He came home to find me watching TV on the couch.  He asked what time I worked and I said 10:30.  What he didn't know is that at 10:25 Pooh Bear would be calling him and telling him about his trip. I had found this cute website that has prerecorded messages from cute Disney characters.  You could have them call for a birthday, congrats on learning how to tie their shoe, pretty much anything. 10:20 I'm very fidgety. 10:22 trying to just breathe slow.  10:24 can't contain it and tell him I have to go to the bathroom.  10:25 sitting on the toilet listening intently for his phone to ring. 10:26... still sitting. 10:27 checking my email to verify the call. 10:28 rescheduling the call from 10:25 Pacific time to 10:30 MST. Finally I go sit by him on the couch.  His phone rings, he answers it, pushes one to verify that it is "Braden Bagley".  Looks at me and laughs.  I can hear Pooh Bear say "Hello Braden, this is Pooh.  I heard you are going on a very special trip today.  I am probably going to the river to play pooh sticks with Piglet. etc. etc."  When I told people about the Pooh call they would say "Oh he'll know for sure."  But I told them, you don't know our relationship.  Braden would just think that I found some weird app on my phone and was going to have Disney people calling him every day for the rest of his life.  He laughed, rolled his eyes, hung up and said "You know your already late for work right?"  I said "I know I know.  Before I go can you hand me that blue bag at the bottom of the closet." He brings this big blue present and tosses it on the couch and starts walking away.  I said "HEY, don't you want to open it?" He said "THIS IS FOR ME?" He opened it and found flip flops, sunglasses, and sunscreen.  I said "Where do you think we could use all of these" He said "... are we going to Disneyland?"  I said YUP. He got way excited and asked when.  I told him "RIGHT now, see that suitcase, we are all packed and ready to leave this second." He said "Do I not have to go to work today?" I told him he wouldn't have to go to work for 3 days (a lie) but he was happy with that.  We walked out to the car and I said "Hey I think I see something under your seat" Now he just had a huge grin on his face and didn't know what I had up my sleeve next.  He pulled out another present, unwrapped it and found a Disney World guide book.  He smiled and said COOL.  I knew he didn't understand what was going on so I just sat and stared at him.  I could see the wheels turning and he said "We're not going to Florida are we?" I just smiled and he started freaking out.  I said "Yup our flight leaves in 2 hours and you don't have to go to work for 8 DAYS!!"  He started calling old mission friends that he wanted to visit while we were there. It was fun telling him about all I had done preparing for this trip and how I almost had to tell him like 10 times.  We spent most of our time at Disney World but also got to go to Tampa for a day and see some familiar faces and drive through some of his old areas.  Braden had never been to Disney World and I had not been for several years so it was fun doing everything together.  Always fun taking trips with your best friend!

JULY
 We had a good ol' fashioned fourth of July in Richfield once again.  We were lucky enough to have my family and Braden's there to celebrate together. We are so lucky to have such great friends and family that can make just sitting around eating food a fun event.  Later that month we went to Lake Powell for the Annual Bagley & Holt Powell trip.  We always have such a fun time there and this year was no exception.  After that I had a family reunion for my mom's side in California.  Braden unfortunately wasn't able to get work off, but I'm so glad I still went.  It was so nice to see all my distant family and catch up.  My cousins around my age are all starting their little families so I LOVED seeing all the cute little babies.  The Bishop family only makes beautiful babies!
We were also blessed with a beautiful baby nephew on the 24th of July! Grayson Evan Ault.  He is so precious and we love him to pieces!
 
AUGUST
Braden just started back up with school and has two more semesters til he graduates with his Bachelors and then it's on to his Masters.  I am still working my million jobs and love being busy.  Braden is still the Secretary in the Young Men's and enjoys working with the youth.  I have been in nursery for 2 years now and have fallen hard for my little 2 & 3 year olds.  I like to think of myself as the cool Aunt who gets to play with her nieces and nephews every Sunday.  I love their unconditional love and excitement when they see me, seriously makes my year.  I have the most adorable little boy in my class that lives a couple houses down.  He will stop by about 3 times a week and ask if I can come watch him ride his 4 wheeler or his dune buggy.  He'll usually hold my hand and walk me out to his ride and show me the mechanics of the car (never letting my hand go mind you).  He melts my heart. 
We have loved living in American Fork these last two years.  We have the best friends a couple could ask for.  We are so blessed and thankful for the wonderful lives we're able to have.   

2 comments:

  1. Cute update! I love the Florida suprise story, I can't believe you pulled that off!

    ReplyDelete