Monday, November 19, 2012

IT'S A GIRL!!!!!

We're having a girl! SOOOO EXCITED.  Everyone keeps saying, "But you wanted a boy" or "But you thought it was a boy" so I am going to clarify.  Some/most of you are going to think this is crazy but nonetheless I'll try to explain what goes on in this peculiar little brain of mine.  I'm not super stitious... but I am a little stitious. I am however a big believer in the JINX.  This is how wiki defines jinx.. The superstition can be referenced when talking about a future event with too much confidence. A statement such as "We're sure to win the contest!" can be seen as a jinx because it tempts fate, thereby bringing bad luck.  So this is pretty much how I live my life.  In most everything I do, I remember my good friend JINX.  If my husband wants to go to dinner but I'm working that night I'll say, "Just go without me, I'll probably be the last one cut."  By saying that I somehow reverse the jinx and will be off in time for dinner.  Sounds simple right? WRONG.  What if I bring something cute to change into after work? JINX KNOWS!! If Jinx sees me bring a change of clothes then I will not be off work in time to go to dinner.  In middle school I would get invited to go to a friends house after school.  I would call my mom to see if I could go and just ride the bus home with them.  Mom wouldn't answer and then I would have to make an executive decision.  I thought well if I'm not allowed to go to their house, then I'll be in a lot of trouble because someone will have to come get me.  I would go home and ask my mom if I could go to my friend's house and she would say, "You should have just rode the bus home with her because I don't have time to drive you over there." JINX at his finest!  Sports? I can not pay attention to an entire game but when the last quarter hits and my team is up by 25 and I start cheering, they somehow lose the game. Even if I don't cheer vocally, Jinx knows my thoughts.  They can tell.  The first election I pay attention to and watch all the debates, my guy loses. JINX KNOWS WHAT I WANT!!! I don't know how they do it, but it's freaky.  There must be some weird makeup in my DNA that allows Jinx to access my mind. Anyhoo, my "friend" Jinx has been around since before I can remember so I've found ways to outsmart him.  I'm sure he's already reading this so after this, the jig is up, but it's fine because I like to think that I won this round.  So I've ALWAYS wanted a little girl.  I'm a girly girl.  I like bows and tutus and all the ridiculously cute accessories that no baby really needs.  When I was about 16 I realized that if I wanted a little girl someday I would have to do some SERIOUS mind games with Mr. Jinx.  From that day on I NEVER said I wanted a girl.  I usually would say I want 3-4 boys.  Boys are fun.  Boys are cute.  I've been saying that for almost 7 years now.  I haven't even said to Braden that I wanted a girl,  NOT ONCE.  One thing I've learned about Jinx is that he finds humor in you having to "explain" yourself later.  For example, if I were to say, "We're moving to California next summer."  He would find a way to make sure I didn't move to California next summer so everyone I told would say "Wait I thought you were moving to California" and I would have to say "wellll..." and explain our change of plans.  Obviously my first step was to vocalize that I REALLY thought it was a boy.  I put it on my last blog post, when people would ask what gender I wanted I would always say, "I think it's a boy."  When we told our parents we were pregnant, I bought little boy shoes and a basketball binki.  The other thing Jinx likes is to be inconvenient.  Just like I said earlier, if I bring the cute change of clothes to work, I'll end up working late and miss dinner.  This one was tough but I had a plan.  I decided to register my baby at Target and made EVERYTHING for a baby boy.  Boy bedding, boy stroller, boy carseat, EVERYTHING.  It was all thought out too, color coordinated down to the last bib.  I only looked up boy names online and in baby books.  I've called Harper "him" from the day I found out I was pregnant. When I went to my ultrasound to find out the gender, my 9 year old sister Bailee came with me.  The whole time I kept saying "Bailee look at his cute toes or his cute little fingers."  Finally the ultrasound tech said, "Well I'm 1000% sure what it is, would you like to know?"  ummm would I EVER!! When she said my baby was a girl, my world seriously stopped. I was speechless. I just started sobbing and she handed me the box of tissues.  She laughed and commented on how I kept calling her, him.  I just kept saying "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT BAILEE!!?"  She wasn't phased by it at all and said she knew the whole time that it was a girl.  We drove straight to Braden's work and he came out and I told him.  He wanted a girl so he was so happy.  He immediately was like are you ok, are you excited about it being a girl... It never occured to me that he had NO idea that I wanted a girl.  I told him why I never could tell him that I wanted a girl and he once again rolled his eyes and just said that he was happy I got what I wanted. OBVIOUSLY if we were having a boy I would still be thrilled to death! The little boys in nursery with me are my FAVORITE.  They always want to just snuggle with me and tell me they want to marry me someday.  OF COURSE I would love a little boy, but I am so.. happy and humbled and blessed that I get my little Harper in a little less than 6 months.  Mandi:1 Jinx:0 :)

1 comment:

  1. Um you are my favorite. I'm so excited for you, I love the name Harper! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete